Friday 10 October 2014

Fabulous Friday

Happy Fabulous Friday! What's fabulous about today is language!
I've been fascinated to see Sticky's language develop. I'm amazed at the words she says and the way her brain works. Why is it she says Dada but not Mama? Why does she babble constantly and what does it mean? Does she choose the words to say or do they choose her?

These questions became particularly interesting at 4:30am when she woke up. I went and checked on her and she was wet so I changed her and thought I might as well take her to bed with us because she won't go back to sleep. 

As soon as I lay her down she started babbling. My husband asked "Is it normal for babies to talk so much?" I told him it was and it was a way for her learn and practice sounds, tones and inflections. It was quite funny listening to her as she was obviously trying to communicate something very profound. 

All of a sudden, she said "hi-fef." She started repeating it over and over while waving her hand in the air. I have taught her to do high fives and wondered if she was saying that. At the same time, my husband asked "Is she saying high five?" I told him I thought so.

I couldn't believe it. Here she is at 8.5 months old, and her consistent vocabulary now includes Dada, ca (cat), es (yes) and hi-fef (high five). Other words she has only said once to date include Mum, yay and ub (I think it was meant to be bub). 

It's funny that people don't believe us when we tell them what she says. Because of course, she never says it on demand. My brother is convinced she's just making sounds that sound like words. But given she now says Dada whenever my husband walks into a room, or she hears his voice, I know she mows the word. 

I expect her language is going to grow faster over the next few months, and years of course. I can't wait to have conversations with her. For her to tell me what she thinks and feels. I know these will be famous last words once she starts screaming no, why and I hate you over and over again. So I'm going to try and remember how excited I feel now when those things happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...