Tuesday 30 September 2014

The return of the sleeping baby

Finally, after a very long 5 weeks, my sleeping baby has returned. Mind you, it's only been 3 nights so I won't get too excited yet, but things look hopeful!

Last Saturday night was my first night away from Sticky. I stayed at my parents house and she stayed at home with Dad. They were both meant to come with me, but we were so exhausted from a sleepless week that neither of us had the strength to pack everything we need to take for her. So, I somewhat hesitantly left them at home. Although I was glad I could at least get an uninterrupted night of sleep!

I hoped for my husband's sake things wouldn't be too difficult and they weren't. She slept through the night and he slept like the proverbial baby! I hoped she'd do the same for me when I got home and she did! Two nights in a row - things were looking up!

Last night came the big test - to dreamfeed or not to dreamfeed? I've learnt over the last few days that we need to make sure she doesn't sleep any longer for 1.5 hours at a time or she doesn't go down at night. So, I woke her up after her allocated time for her afternoon sleep and she was down again by 6:30pm.

I was hesitant to wake her up for the dreamfeed at 10pm because she's struggled so much going back to sleep. This of course means I struggle to get back to sleep. My husband advised that she might wake up in the middle of the night for it and I decided to take the risk.

She started stirring at 4:30am and I listened for a while, waiting for the screaming to start. It didn't and she went back to sleep until 6:30am. She did it - slept through for 12 beautiful hours! 

I can't believe how much of a difference a good chunk of sleep makes. There were some difficult moments over the past few weeks where it felt like I had a newborn all over again. Whether it was teething, a Wonder Week, a growth spurt, or just a phase I don't know. But gees, I hope we have a good run of sleepful nights!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...