Wednesday 2 July 2014

The challenges of a sick baby

For the first time in a long time, I've been reminded of the challenges of Motherhood. For the    past 3 days, Sticky has suffered a cold, teething and a Wonder Week all at once. Welcome to Motherhood!

We've been in lock down at home for 3 days now in a self imposed quarantine. I've had a terrible cold and passed it on to Sticky. The two of us have been sneezing and coughing in unison which is not a pretty sight. The coughing makes Sticky vomit and has managed to vomit all over me several times. It's not pretty!

The greatest challenge has been at night. Normally, I put Sticky to bed at 6:30pm and she'll sleep through the night. One of the main signs she's in a Wonder Week is she won't stay asleep. That has happened this week but it's gone to a new level. I haven't been able to get her down until 10pm and she wakes up several times during the night.

Last night was particularly bad. I finally got her to sleep at 10pm and she woke up screaming at 11:30pm. I'm not sure if she had a bad dream, was in pain or just feeling bad, but I got very upset I couldn't settle her. I had thrown my husband into the spare room so I could keep her in bed with me and he came running to see what the noise was all about.

The other affliction I have at the moment is burstitis in my left shoulder rotator cuff. I've had it for several weeks now and it means I get shots of pain down my arm whenever I move my arm in a certain way. Funnily enough, carrying a 6.5 kg baby doesn't help it. I was in a lot of pain with it last night so had to get my husband to rock her to sleep. After an hour, we finally got her back down. She woke up another few times during the night but I was able to pat her back to sleep. I woke up exhausted and feeling wrung out this morning. 

On the bright side, the silver lining of a sick baby is all the extra cuddles. She needs more comforting at the moment so is most happy sitting on my lap snuggling into me. I'm more than happy to oblige. It's those moments that have got me through the last few days. It's been rough to say the least but we seem to be getting through it. I just wish this blessed tooth would show up already so I can have some evidence validating our hard work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...