Wednesday 14 May 2014

A new direction

Now I've had 7 months sitting at home, it's time to take a new direction in my life. My brain has been in overdrive for a while now thinking of what I can so with myself while at home. I finally stumbled on an answer - I'm going to become a celebrant!

This is not a totally new idea. I had originally thought of it about 10 years ago but never did anything about it. A friend did the course last year which reignited the idea. As I've heard about how she has been building her business, and fuelled by using a celebrant at my own wedding, I've decided it's time.

It's not going to be easy. I need to finish the course and submit my application by the end of June to avoid paying the new admin fees that start in July. I'll be doing a 5 day intensive course which sounds scary enough as it is, let alone dealing with a 5 month old at the same time.

It seems the planets are aligned because the last course to make the deadline just happens to be on the week my husband was taking off to spend with his Mother who's visiting. When I first mentioned it to him 2 days ago, he was totally taken by surprise. He had never heard me speak of it but of course it's been in my head for a long time. In his pragmatic way, he asked me to do a business plan that outlined how I would run the business. He was worried I was thinking of it as an expensive hobby.

It will be a lot of money to do the course and I'll have on going costs maintaining my registration, not to mention his help looking after Sticky to attend meetings with clients and ceremonies. I figured it was fair enough. He took one look at it and said "Do it." I was so happy I burst into tears. I haven't felt this passionate about anything for such a long time and to have his support was overwhelming. I'm so ready to throw myself into this, I haven't been able to sleep the last few nights with my head so full of ideas!

So it's a little scary to think about setting up my own business and trying to cut through a very competitive and cluttered market. There are so many celebrants I need to think about how I make myself stand out but luckily, having a background in communications, promotions and event management should help. I really have no idea where it will take me but have an overwhelming sense I'm meant to do it so something will no doubt come from it. I can't wait to see what it will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...