Friday 6 December 2013

Fabulous Friday

Happy Fabulous Friday all! Can you believe there are only 3 more Fridays left in 2013? Where has this year gone?

As the Fridays tick away, I'm making the most of the remaining weeks. I am pleased to say I now have everything I need for Sticky. The final purchase of a car seat and a few other bits and pieces was made yesterday. The car seat was the last big ticket item I had to get. I had been putting it off because the choices are so overwhelming but I finally got there. 

I also bought a hook to hang the nappy bag to the pram and a water bottle holder to attach to the pram. I tested those on the pram last night and it was the first time I had opened the pram since we got it about 2 months ago. I felt quite excited as I attached the water bottle holder and tried the hook. I started pushing it around the room and imagined Sticky lying in it. I had a huge smile on my face!

It feels a bit anti-climatic to have all the shopping done but I'm glad I've done it. The car seat will go in over Christmas and I will put the finishing touches on the nursery over the next few weeks. There are some pictures to hang, teddy bears to unwrap and a change table to organise but I'm leaving all of that for a few weeks so I have something to look forward to.

I caught up with a friend this morning who had a baby 9 weeks ago. She's a gorgeous little thing but is a rather large baby - she's already in 00 clothes! Mind you, her father is 6'7 so his children tend to be rather large! The obstetrician told me yesterday that he expects Sticky to be between 8 and 9 pounds/ 3.5 to 4 kg. I have no idea where he comes up with that figure given I'm still not showing that much and I haven't put on any more weight.

I told him that I thought I shouldn't think Sticky will be little just because I can't see her. I was thinking she'd be average size which is around 7 pounds but he seemed quite convinced she would be larger. I suppose he's the one to know. But, it makes me think the larger she is, the shorter time her clothes will fit! Oh well, not much I can do about it. We'll see soon enough.

I had an interesting conversation with my cleaner today who asked when the baby was due. I asked if he had children and he told me he had a 6 year old boy who lived with his grandparents back in India. Him and his wife were waiting on their permanent visas to come through to bring him back. He had lived here with them until he was 5 but they had no choice but to send him back to India to go to school because it was too expensive here without permanent residency.

I could see the emotion on his face as he spoke about him and how much they missed him. My heart broke at the thought of having to send your child away. Even more so when he said they couldn't afford to visit him over Christmas because they had to pay for their visa application. 

It made me realise how lucky my husband and I are to be in the situation we are in. We can afford to have our child. We can afford for me to take time off to look after her. We can afford to send her to whatever school we like. We have worked hard to create this situation for ourselves and I'm glad we have. It makes me so appreciative of my lifestyle and the opportunities we can provide our daughter. But, it also makes me realise that sometimes as a parent, you have to make some huge sacrifices for the sake of your child and that is something I will always endeavour to remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...