Wednesday 18 December 2013

Confessions of an organisational freak

I've never hidden the fact that I'm an organisational freak. I love being organised, having routines and writing lists! Oh, how I love a list. So today, I have written down a routine for Sticky for the first year of her life. A little over the top? Not if you know what I know!

The benefit of working in child care is knowing how important routines are for children. They need routines from the moment they pop out and the quicker you can get them settled into a routine, the easier your life will be.

I know there is a lot of discussion about whether babies should be in routines, and how early they should be, but, I know what happens when a baby isn't in a routine and it isn't pretty. I know how important routines are to me so if I operate best in a routine, I'm guessing Sticky will too!

I am aware that a routine for a baby needs to be flexible because you don't know what kind of child you will end up with. So, I am prepared for that. But, my goal is to have Sticky sleeping through the night by 12 weeks if I can so I need to start from Day 1 to achieve that.

My friends recommended a book called Save our sleep by Tizzie Hall. They credit it for saving their lives after they had enormous trouble settling their new born. He's been sleeping through the night since they got him onto the routines in the book so that was good enough evidence for me. 

The book includes routines from 1 week to 2 years old. So today, I've typed them, printed them all out and will put them in a plastic sleeve and put them on the wall in Sticky's room. I know it may sound a little anal retentive, but this way, my husband and I know exactly what's happening, other carers know what's happening and most importantly, Sticky knows what's happening. 

I know some people may think I'm terribly niave and that's ok. I admit, I may be a little niave but I'm also determined. As I said, I've seen what happens when children are not in routines and I'm determined not to suffer like I've seen others do. The trick to establishing a routine is being tough when you need to be and not giving up just because it seems hard. That, I am not niave about. 

I know it will be tough. I know there will be tears - Sticky's and mine! I know there will be times when I want to give up. But, I also know how important it is to persevere and succeed and I'm hoping that will drive me to keep going when it all seems too hard. I know these could be famous last words but I'm going to start how I plan to go on. As a first time Mother, that's all any of us can do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...