Wednesday 6 November 2013

Glucose tests and a growing baby

 My glucose test results are in and I don’t have diabetes – yay! I have something that fills me with even more dread than diabetes – low iron.

Why would low iron make me shake in my boots? Well, the obstetrician has told me I need to take iron tablets. This is what happened to me the last time I was on iron tablets (2nd paragraph). Needless to say I don’t want to repeat that. I was quite traumatised and that day still gives me nightmares. I haven’t taken iron tablets since.

Now of course I know that taking iron tablets is a damn site better than having to deal with diabetes. I’m not a total fool. But trust me, until you’ve experienced something so painful and scary, you can’t possibly fathom what it’s like. I know that was 16 weeks ago so I’m hoping that my body may have settled down a bit. I’m hoping against all hope that it has. But, I’ll be upping my prune juice intake just in case!

I will give it a try and see how we go. I’m determined to do the best thing for Sticky and I and clearly if I’m low on iron, she is too and that’s a not a good thing. So I will try my best to suck it up to make sure we both stay fit, strong and healthy. I think it’s a little easier for me to accept knowing I’ve only got 11 weeks to go.

On a side note, something interesting happened at 3:30am today. I was woken up by a truck revving its engine outside my window an hour earlier. As per habit these days, if I wake up in the middle of the night, it normally takes me about 2 or 3 hours to get back to sleep. So, I was trying to go to sleep, lying on my left side, when I suddenly felt uncomfortable and rolled onto my back.

I could immediately feel Sticky was poking through my belly. I turned on the light and sure enough, there was a big bump stretching across my belly. Up until then, I had only seen what I assumed was her head sticking out the front of my belly. This was the first time I had seen all of her.

It felt very strange because most of the weight was on my left side. I poked around her to determine how she was lying and think she must have had her back against my belly, looking at my spine. She promptly gave me a kick which I felt around my let rib so I guess I was right.

I was amazed at how far she stretched – pretty much from one side of my belly to the other. When I told my husband this morning, I don’t think he believed me because he asked “She can’t be that big can she?” I told him she was around 33cm now so yes, she would be long enough to fit in that space. He patted my stomach in amazement.

What this means is that she’ll soon run out of room to lay like that and she’ll need to start heading north. That’s the only place there’s room for her to fit. This means all my organs and various bits will need to head north too. I can’t say I’m looking forward to that but it’s all part and parcel of the process. I’ve been told to brace myself for the pain you feel when they get their feet caught in your ribs!


In the meantime, I’m just excited to know my girl is getting bigger and more visible. I’m still amazed everytime I see my tummy wobble or ripple after she’s moved. I could watch it all day but of course she rarely does it when I’m waiting for her to. She likes to sneak up on me and surprise me. It doesn’t matter – I’ll take it anyway it comes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...