Monday 26 August 2013

Week 18 - insomnia, cramps and cupcakes!

My 18th week is off to a bang with insomnia, cramps and cupcakes! The cupcakes were the best part!



We had cupcake day at work to raise money for the RSPCA – which for our international readers is the Royal Society of Protection against Cruelty to Animals. I bought my cat from the RSPCA so I’m a big supporter of their work. So, yesterday, I whisked up a batch of banana muffins with passionfruit icing. They were pretty tasty, and popular because they were the biggest! I guess they offered the best value for money.

I needed something to pick my up today as it seems the insomnia has hit. I haven’t been able to sleep the past two nights. Last night, despite being exhausted, it took me a long time to get to sleep then I woke up at 2am and couldn’t get back to sleep. At 3:30am I had to get up and have a banana because I was hungry. I think I feel back asleep about 4am and then the alarm went at 6:15am. I needed coffee big time this morning!

I know insomnia is a common part of pregnancy. I was hoping I would last a few more weeks before it hit me. I had been sleeping so well the past few weeks. Literally, like the sleep of the dead. I was going into such deep sleep that I would wake up feeling refreshed and recharged, despite only getting 7 hours sleep. I fear those few weeks may be the last decent sleep I get for a few years now!

18 weeks have also bought me cramps. I had quite a few on the weekend and it was hard to tell if it was Sticky moving, my tummy grumbling or cramps. In the end, I put it down to cramps because of the sharp jabs I was getting. Again, another joyful part of pregnancy where your body reacts to the fact that your intestines and organs are being smooshed up into your body. Poor intestines – I think they’ve had a hiding over the last few days as evidenced by the increase in gas and tummy pains.

So, with all of this going on, I feel like I’ve entered a new phase of this pregnancy. The phase were things start to become uncomfortable. I know it’s just the beginning so I’m glad it only happens gradually.

Despite all of this, I remain in a relatively good mood because it’s only 3 sleeps until I see the obstetrician again. I won’t lie, the past 4 weeks have been a struggle as anxiety has reared it’s ugly head. But I’ve survived it. I made it through the worrying times by doing some positive self talk and trying not to engage with the negative thoughts too much. And, I made it through without resorting to a doppler which is a major task because I nearly caved in on a few occasions. 

I’m all for using a doppler and I know a lot of women who have found them very reassuring. I think my battle to not use one has been a personal challenge not to respond to the anxiety. I’ve wanted to prove that I am mentally tough enough to get through this by myself. 

As I mentioned, I’m trying to focus on building my resilience because once Sticky arrives, I won’t have a magical device to let me know she’s ok. I need to start putting faith in myself that no matter what happens, I’ll handle it.

Despite that bravery, I can’t wait to hear the little thumpity thump of her heart on Thursday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...