Tuesday 6 August 2013

Pregnancy pimples and other pleasantries



I knew it was only a matter of time. I knew they were there just lurking under the surface. I knew they would pop their ugly little heads up one day and that day has arrived. Hello pregnancy pimples!

I’ve been quite blessed over the years with relatively good skin. I had the average bout of pimples during my teenage years and get the odd one now and then. As a result, I thought I might be lucky and escape this particular joy of pregnancy but alas, no!

Now, I must clarify. I would call these blemishes rather than pimples but I know the red spots on my face will grow into fully fledged pimples. And I do have one – right in the corner of my lips. You may remember a few days ago I shared the stories of my split gums and when I started experiencing a stinging pain in both corners of my lips yesterday, I thought they had returned. It turned out to be growing pimples but it made me feel like the Joker from Batman because I had to keep lifting my lip up in a smile to reduce the pressure. As soon as I got home I applied the trusty ol’ bonjella which provided enormous relief.

Now, in regards to other pleasantries – and please note my tone of sarcasm when I say that. Remember I said that the nausea was like my security blanket, well I needn’t have worried. Last night I had the worse bout of nausea I’ve had in the whole pregnancy. The interesting thing was it struck just before dinner. It was only the second time I’ve had it in the evening, but the first time I actually thought I would be sick.

Luckily I wasn’t, but it made eating dinner very difficult. I ate what I could than laid on the couch absolutely exhausted.  It definitely took me by surprise but then was gone quickly once my dinner had settled. Enough for me to have a handful of M&Ms for dessert!

So it seems that in my case, the magical 2nd trimester is a myth. I have had the odd day where I feel good but I’ve only had one or two of these days. If I don’t have sore breasts, stabbing pains or nausea, I’m exhausted. I do know friends who suffered all of this late into the 2nd trimester and also well into the 3rd so there’s no knowing when it will stop. Everyone keeps telling me I’ll feel better soon but I’m starting to prepare myself for the fact this might be as good as it gets. And in comparison to others, it’s still pretty good!

I wonder if Sticky is playing a role in all of this. Maybe she’s just pulling on some of my innards to spark some pain or niggle to let me know she’s ok.  I wonder if she’s sending me these signs until she’s big enough to give me a swift kick to let me know she’s ok. Either way, I’ve decided that I’m going to believe it’s all Sticky. So last night when I sat with my hands in my head, deciding if I needed to run to the toilet or not, I sent a silent prayer to Sticky. I thanked her for being so clever she figured out how to communicate with me from the inside. And I thanked her for letting me keep my security blanket for a little longer. I promised I’d do the same for her!

Image by SweetCrisis
Courtesy of www.freedigitalphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...