Tuesday 12 March 2013

Searching for serenity



My husband and I were talking about angels last night, and I suddenly remembered my angel cards. I hadn’t looked at them in a few years so I took them out to do a reading. My husband got Raphael – one of the biggies! I got the Angel of Serenity – as soon as I read the first few lines, I knew why this angel was meant to be watching over me right now.

My angel pack is called “The Angel Oracle” by Ambika Wauters. She says, “The Angel of Serenity dances with us as we engage in daily struggles and conflicts. This angel wishes us the ease of serenity, and will often stimulate our dreams to create a vision of how life could be if only we dared to live from that place within ourselves. This angel will always encourage us to disengage from struggle and conflict. This is done by changing out attitude and reframing our view of a situation or person.

The gift of serenity comes when we have surrendered our struggles and given up our negativity. It is a gift that may be shaken from time to time, but once we have had the experience of it we will always want it in out lives.”

Finding serenity is easier said then done but I don’t know why. I guess we let our brains take over. We let the struggles and conflicts invade our thoughts, emotions and lives instead of putting up the serenity force field. For some reason, we hold onto our negativity like it’s a security blanket. Even though we don’t like it, it’s comfortable for us. We believe it serves us in some way but it really doesn’t.

Wauters says we need to “…give up attitudes which stand in the way of being happy…” and “…release emotional pain which can lead us to believe that life has to be tortuous or fraught.” For some reason, we put up our own barriers believing that we don’t truly deserve things in life unless there’s a struggle to gain it. We don’t “let” or “allow” things to come easily to us. I think that was one of the reasons I freaked out so much when I did fall pregnant. I just couldn’t believe it could be that easy – as it turns out I was right, but I shouldn’t use that as evidence that life has to be hard.

Perhaps we do it on purpose so we can feel a greater sense of achievement when we accomplish these things. Maybe we like to test ourselves to determine if we’re truly worthy. Wauters says we need help to feel that we “…deserve to live in a serene way so that our purpose can be fulfilled with ease and grace.” I would love to live a serene life – free of conflict and drama. Of course that’s not possible, so the trick is to build a strong inner core that allows us to stay strong in the face of difficult circumstances.

The next trick is figuring out how to do that. If you Google “how to fine serenity” a million different sites coming up giving you 11, 14, 50 ways to find it. I feel less serene just reading these articles that are meant to tell me how to feel serene! Maybe we’re all overthinking it – maybe we just need to remember the Serenity Prayer:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, 
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference. 




I’m still not sure how you go about cementing acceptance, courage and wisdom into your life but at least it’s a start!

Image by Just2Shutter
Courtesy of www.freedigitalphotos.net

1 comment:

  1. I have heard the Serenity Prayer so many times in my life. It has never meant more than it has once I grew up, learned, and, most importantly, accepted there are things I can not change. Too many of us waste much of our lives trying to change what we can't. The sooner we accept the things we can't and put our efforts into what we can the sooner our lives are much happier. I'm not perfect at this by any means. I struggle each day to focus on the positive and push away the negative. I pray for wisdom to choose my battles and be content with one moment at a time if a day seems like too much.

    ReplyDelete

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...