Monday 18 June 2012

The waiting game begins


So the time has come. The planets have aligned and we are officially good to go. What makes this so?


1 - My long awaited periods finally arrived. It took 5 weeks and I must say I've never been so glad to feel so bloated in my life. It was a nervous wait as many of my friends who have had fertility problems say it started when their periods didn't come back after going off the pill. So to actually see them in their natural state was fantastic. 


2 - I've lost 4 kilos. I wasn't really over weight but just wanted to be in prime, physical shape before we start trying. I've been getting up at 5:45am every morning and getting on the treadmill for 30 minutes. So not only am I lighter, but I'm fitter and more energetic. I'm hoping this will make the process of falling pregnant easier, but if I'm truly honest with myself, part of the reason is also so I won't feel too bad putting the first few kilos on!


3 - The most important step of all - I said farewell to wine. Well, actually, my final farewell is in a week's time but my husband and I just spent the weekend in the wine region over-indulging in a farewell. So many women I've spoken to say they drank some alcohol in their early pregnancy and everything was fine. I don't dare tell them that the latest research indicates long-term problems with brain development. So really, it  isn't a risk I'm prepared to take. I wanted to go out with a bang and a bang it was. I want to finalise my long-term relationship with wine and part on good-terms as I take this extended break. And a detox will do me good anyway!


So, three small accomplishments that add up to entering the baby zone. Funnily enough, reaching this milestone happens to coincide with my 37th birthday tomorrow. I'm trying not to get too excited about it. I'm still trying to manage the expectations. But as I think about it, the nerves rise and the butterflies set in. Now we the waiting game begins!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Linkedwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...